guix-devel

Re: glibc-locales

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: glibc-locales
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 07:36:26 -0700

On 2022-07-03, Andreas Enge wrote:
> Am Sun, Jul 03, 2022 at 12:53:09PM +0300 schrieb Efraim Flashner:
>> I misread the source. I'd like glibc-utf8-locales built with glibc-final.
>
> Has glibc-utf8-locales not been removed some time ago? I always had it in
> my profile, then saw a message during upgrade that it had been removed,
> and dropped it from my profile (without any apparent harm to my GNU system).

Still is there as a hidden package and used as an input for some
packages, though this brings up another locales-related question...

Before glibc-utf8-locales was a hidden package, I preferred using that
because it only included a small subset of locales, and happened to
include the main one I needed (lucky me!).

How feasible would it be to make each locale it's own output on
glibc-locales (e.g. glibc-locales:en_US.utf8, or maybe cluster languages
together, e.g. glibc-locales:en) ? Most people probably only use a
relatively small number of locales on any given system... though which
locales any given person uses probably varies.

Is it a complexity vs. space-savings issue? Would it be tricky to
compose multiple locales packages into a single profile? Just not worth
the effort?

live well,
  vagrant