guix-devel

Re: Bootstrap script only works with guix environment, not with guix she

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Bootstrap script only works with guix environment, not with guix shell
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 23:10:36 +0100

Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> writes:

> I am messing around again with updating a package and according to my
> own guide from previous adventures, I have to run the following
> command to generate the `pre-inst-env` script, in the root directory
> of the guix sources:
>
> ~~~~
> guix environment guix -- ./bootstrap
> ~~~~

→ guix environment --help
Usage: guix environment [OPTION]... PACKAGE... [-- COMMAND...]
Build an environment that includes the dependencies of PACKAGE and execute
COMMAND or an interactive shell in that environment.

So this is giving you an environment including the dependencies of the
guix package, which is I think what you want, since you're trying to run
the ./bootstrap script.

> But then I remembered, that actually `guix shell` is the newer thing and
> changed it to:
>
> ~~~~
> guix shell guix -- ./bootstrap
> ~~~~

→ guix shell --help
Usage: guix shell [OPTION] PACKAGES... [-- COMMAND...]
Build an environment that includes PACKAGES and execute COMMAND or an
interactive shell in that environment.

guix shell is a newer command, but new things don't just replace old
things because they're newer. guix shell isn't intended to replace guix
environment, just to make it easier to get an environment that includes
some specific packages (rather than having to pass --ad-hoc to guix
environment).

In this case, you've got an environment containing guix, rather than the
dependencies of guix.