guix-devel

Re: Updating Packages

From: Munyoki Kilyungi
Subject: Re: Updating Packages
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 13:28:23 +0300

allan <allroj978@gmail.com> anaandika:

> Hi there! I am new to software development, but I would like to contribute. I
> want to start by updating some rust packages to newer versions.<br>
>
> So far I have just been making scheme files in a seperate directory
> and running "guix build -f $SCHEME_FILE". I am trying to follow the
> [guidlines in the
> manual](https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Contributing.html),
> but git is still new to me and I am a little confused how to make this
> all work.
>
> What should I do to get package builds to recognize the updates I make to
> dependencies?

Have a look at:
<https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Packaging-Tutorial.html>
that has an in-depth take on packaging.  Once you
have a patch that you are ready to submit, follow
this:
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html>.
HTH'ed.

--
(Life is like a pencil that will surely run out,
    but will leave the beautiful writing of life.)