guix-devel

Re: Could Guix System eventually run on top of HyperbolaBSD ? slightly o

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Could Guix System eventually run on top of HyperbolaBSD ? slightly off topic
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 08:38:03 -0700

On 2022-07-14, zimoun wrote:
> Well, dreaming about science fiction, it appears me more approachable to
> have Guix running on something as Debian/kfreeBSD – it could be an
> interesting project with the help of Debian folks.  Other said, “just”
> replace the Linux kernel by a variant of the FreeBSD one running with
> GNU GLibc.

Well, guile-3.0 does not build on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, so that would be
a bit of a blocker for a GNU Guix port:

  https://buildd.debian.org/guile-3.0

But guile-2.2 built fine:

  https://buildd.debian.org/guile-2.2

It is a rough port, I have toyed with it now and again ... requires lots
of patches to code that assume userland based on running kernel; patches
that upstreams are hesitant to take, etc. It is great as a grueling test
of coding assumptions, though!

My guess is you would have the same sort of problems with porting GNU
Guix to any of the *BSD.

Definitely the sort of project that would take someone highly motivated
over many years...

live well,
  vagrant