guix-devel

Re: [WIP Patch] Adding an FHS container to guix shell

From: John Kehayias
Subject: Re: [WIP Patch] Adding an FHS container to guix shell
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 15:41:43 +0000

Hi Vagrant

------- Original Message -------
On Tuesday, July 12th, 2022 at 1:34 PM, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> On 2022-07-12, John Kehayias wrote:
>
> > Right now I did not handle a multi-arch setup, though that shouldn't
> > be too difficult. This would probably require an option to build
> > either all or specified packages for an additional arch, like 32bit in
> > a 64bit system, and make the libraries available (/lib32 or
> > something). Though may run into a union-build bug [2]?
>

> This might be splitting hairs, but that sounds like a bi-arch setup
> e.g. "/lib and /lib32" vs. a multi-arch setup "/lib,
> /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/ and /lib/i386-linux-gnu"
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch
>
> Not sure how many extra hoops you'd need to jump through to make either
> work well.

Thanks, was not aware of the different terminology. The use-case I'm thinking
of mostly is for when one needs 32bit libraries in a 64bit x86 system, often
for older programs (or maybe Wine).

In any event, I think for my first goals I'll leave that out and we can think
about extensions for such a setup later. I don't think it would be very
difficult, at least to build some libraries for a different system and link in
a separate lib directory.

John