guix-devel

Re: native-inputs: Go for completeness or minimalism?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: native-inputs: Go for completeness or minimalism?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 18:34:58 +0200

Hi Hartmut,

On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 at 10:33, Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com>
wrote:

> Personally I tend to minimal.

Me too.  Being minimal is better on all aspects, IMHO.

The only drawback is indeed “guix shell -D”.  But, people developing can
add the missing or extra packages.  To me, Guix provides the minimal
environment for building and running one package.

Otherwise, we could imagine to create two packages.

However, there is no consensus about this “minimalism”.  For instance,
some packages have multi-outputs which implies that “guix shell -D” is
not minimal.

Cheers,
simon