guix-devel

User group during build process

From: Maya
Subject: User group during build process
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 14:00:32 +0000

Hi,

I have been setting up mail server on my guix machine and I have found a bug. The smtpctl command from the opensmptd package requires to be owned by the smtpq group.

The problem is, that this group is added by opensmtp-service, but it is required during the build process as can be seen here http://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/748270/log/raw (search for chgrp)

I write to you since I’m not sure how to fix it idiomatically. Here are my solutions:

a) smtpq can be a system group that exists on all guix machines
b) smtpq will get a static gid, the build process will create a dummy group with that gid, chgrp the file to that group and the opensmtp-service-type will create user-group smtpq with that static gid (i dont know if there’s an index of reserved guix gids)
c) patch the upstream opensmtpd

With all the best,
Maya