guix-devel

Re: Strategy for Zig packages

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Strategy for Zig packages
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 20:48:16 +0200

Am Dienstag, dem 26.07.2022 um 19:56 +0900 schrieb mcsinyx@disroot.org:
> In case this has not been discussed before, what shall be the plan
> for interdependent Zig packages in Guix?  On top of my head there are
> a few options:
>
> 1. Wait until Zig reaches 1.0; it's too soon to decide now.
> 2. Work with Zig maintainers for a standard way to install
>    Zig libraries as source code.  It could be something like
>    ZIG_PKGS where package name is at $ZIG_PKGS/$name.zig,
>    or a file containing all the mappings.
> 3. Wrap the zig command and feed it declared dependency information
>    while waiting for standardization.
4. Convince Zig maintainers to perhaps maybe not join the ranks of Rust
et al. and produce reusable shared libraries?

I don't think there's a good case to make for reuse via source code
archives (as the only possible way to reuse).  Technically, there's a
similar construct in C++ called header-only library, but if you need
more than one header to implement one, I'd highly question your design
choices.

Cheers