guix-devel

Re: git guix checkout automation for contributors

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: git guix checkout automation for contributors
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 19:18:10 +0200

Hi!

Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org> skribis:

> (1) Install the guix system
> (2) Log in as regular user
> (3) guix edit nano
> (4) It opens a file from /gnu/store that you cannot edit.

At one point, I thought we could have, say:

  guix edit --clone PKG

It would close the channel containing PKG, open the file that defines
it, and then tell you to run “guix build -L … PKG” to test your changes.

All this would be relatively easy to implement, but it has one downside:
it doesn’t work for the ‘guix’ channel.

Perhaps we could make it work for the ‘guix’ channel if we arrange so
that “guix build -L … PKG” doesn’t end up loading all the local
uncompiled guix/*.scm modules.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.