guix-devel

system/package testing?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: system/package testing?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 17:51:40 +0200

Hi

Is there any infrastructure to run a system-wide test suite, or at least
a per-package test suite?  I'm not thinking of 'make check' that is run
during build, but of something similar to Debian's debci/autopkgtest to
test that an installed package works as expected (which may include
running the same self-checks as 'make check' would, but on the installed
package).

When designed for Guix, it could be even better than debci/autopkgtest,
it could be something the Guix user could invoke on an installed system
to verify that all the installed packages passes self-tests -- I miss
that functionality from debci/autopkgtest.

I'm considering packaging libgssglue for Guix and do some Kerberos
related work on other related packages, but having confidence of any
changes without proper testing of the resulting installed package is
fragile.  I'm sure other more complex parts of Guix could benefit from
similar testing too.  A system-wide testing of the published QEMU image
would be useful, to gain confidence that we don't introduce regressions
into a future release of the QEMU image.

Maybe this already exists, and if so my question/request should be
converted into a request for publicity around the feature and a pointer
to its documentation. :)

/Simon