guix-devel

Re: emacs-next native compilation failures

From: Max Brieiev
Subject: Re: emacs-next native compilation failures
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:44:57 +0300

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

> Hi Max,
> I don't know of a fix, but Guix is tracking this issue here:
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/57878

I think the issue is related, but different. In the original issue, the
problem is the avalance of the compilation processes (AFAIU).

My problem is that I do actually want to run the deferred compilation,
but native compiler fails to do so at all, with a weird error of not
being able to locate 'as' program. As a dirty hack, I tried to manually
install binutils package, which includes 'as' program, but then Emacs
fails with even more weird error. So I am not able to compile even a
single file.

> I have been unable to upgrade Guix due to this issue.  In my case it
> locks down my whole system with endless compilation processes.

If you have a recent Emacs checkout, you can try to disable JIT native
compiler by setting EMACS_INHIBIT_AUTOMATIC_NATIVE_COMPILATION
environment variable.

Check this issue: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58429

> I wouldn't mind seeing native compilation disabled until upstream
> improves the experience, but it's been decided that native compilation
> is staying on. So, we're stuck on an old Guix until there's a
> solution.

By upstream do you mean Emacs?

On Arch linux I'd been using nativecomp Emacs like for about two years
and never had an issue related to native compilaton.

After switching to Guix, I've been using what is provided by default by
emacs-next, which had '--with-native-compilation' disabled until
recently.

So to me, a more likely problem is in Guix packaging than in upstream
Emacs.