guix-devel

Re: Release progress, week 1

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Release progress, week 1
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 16:42:15 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Release progress: week 1.
>
> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> Here’s a list of things to do to get there:
>>
>>   • Merge ‘staging’ (?).  What’s the status of that one, it seemed ready
>>     a couple of weeks ago, but then I lost track of it.  Marius?
>
> Marius, any update?
>
> Chris, does data.guix.gnu.org have enough info to provide insights?

Unfortunately not, you can see the substitute availability here [1]. Not
enough has been built yet to do a comprehensive comparison.

1:
https://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/repository/2/branch/staging/latest-processed-revision/package-substitute-availability

The builds are happening, and I've tweaked some prioritisation to try
and speed things up for x86_64-linux and aarch64-linux, but
fundamentally the only way to really speed things up is add more
hardware.

>>   • Get base binaries on all supported architectures in a timely
>>     fashion, or drop some of the architectures.
>
> There was progress on i686-linux since last week:
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/58366
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/58352
>
> I’m also making slow progress on making childhurds usable on the ci.guix
> infrastructure (and probably elsewhere) for i586-gnu builds:
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/58320
>
> ‘make assert-binaries-available’ reports 91.9% right now (commit
> 8b192c5550213911f930594f4fd7386f36618237).

I've also looked again at childhurds, it was actually surprisingly easy
to get some running (I don't think I ran in to the same problem as
you). I'm not sure why I didn't set some up sooner.

Anyway, I also spotted the guix package failing to build for
powerpc64le-linux. That seemed to be a problem with the linux-libre
packages lacking powerpc64le-linux as a supported system, so I pushed
[2] to fix that. Hopefully when the guix package is next updated, it'll
build on powerpc64le-linux.

2:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=166faae8d8aea499be7985255c4d47e36095a6bd

>>   • Address the blockers of <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53214>, most of
>>     which are issues in the installer.
>
> Mathieu fixed <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57232> today.
>
> Discussions are ongoing regarding <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55360>.
>
> How about meeting on #guix on IRC tomorrow Friday at 2PM CEST (UTC+2) to
> discuss the issues above and distribute work among ourselves?  Who’s in?

I'll try to be around :)

Chris