guix-devel

Re: bug#58417: Installer script no longer works with `yes` utility

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: bug#58417: Installer script no longer works with `yes` utility
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:22:58 -0400

Hi Simon,

[...]

>> Conversely, I'd like to add a comment that does commit to always
>> keeping ‘yes '' | bash guix-install.sh’ working, assuming there
>> was no other input or detected issues.  Also nice for humans in a
>> hurry.
>>
>> Does that seem unreasonable to anyone?
>
> From my point of view, it could nice to have a way to run the
> installation script without any human action.  For instance, install
> Guix in some GitHub/Gitlab CI.

If I understood Tobias, they were not suggesting to make the
non-interactive installation use case harder/impossible, just to change
it from 'yes | ./install.sh' to 'yes "" | ./install.sh', which would
give us the freedom to choose a default value of either yes or no for
each question.

Hope that helps!

--
Thanks,