guix-devel

Questions about Cuirass

From: James Hobson
Subject: Questions about Cuirass
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 21:19:56 +0000

Hello!

Currently evaluating guix for embedded systems at work. But I have a few
questions that I can’t quite work out from the docs. Please feel no obligation
to answer!

Please note that my guix journey is at its very beginning. I’ve not even had a
go at packaging!

Question 1
We would need to host the guix substitute server in an airgapped environment.
The server would contain plain guix packages, our in house packages, and maybe
patched guix packages. Would that be possible without having to rebuild the
entire guix package set? We don’t have so many build machines, especially not
for armv7.

Question 2
Does cuirass garbage collect? Or is that done through guix gc? We would need to
host the binary packages for maybe 3 revisions at a time in this air gapped
server.

Question 3
Our software is sadly proprietary. Is there a way for guix build to selectively
unpack and patch all non-proprietary sources so that we can provide it to
anyone who asks? I feel like if this isn’t a thing already, I guess I can write
it in scheme?

Thanks

James