guix-devel

Re: Packages depending on (guix build syscalls)

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Packages depending on (guix build syscalls)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 18:21:03 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skriver:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> Quite a few packages depend on (guix build syscalls), starting from
>> ‘ant-bootstrap’ (since commit cded3a759356ff66b7df668bcdbdfa0daf96f4c5
>> in 2018) up to GNOME-related packages such as ‘mutter’ (commit
>> d1c2fe248a7a326189fb7dcae64a59ece96251ba a few months ago).

It seems the usage of (guix build syscalls) in java.scm and
ant-build-system is solely for 'mkdtemp!'.  Guile 3.0.6 gained
'mkdtemp', so I suppose we can switch to that?

If there are backwards-compatibility concerns it seems possible to
modify these procedures to not need to 'mkdtemp' at all.

I can prepare a patch along these lines, but not sure if we need to
maintain backward compatibility in (gnu packages).

> An issue is that GNOME now depends on Java:

[...]

> There’s probably not much we can do, unless the python-afdko -> icedtea
> dependency is optional.

This relationship was added in b0ddbb05729e86ce4efb7eac8909317e16d7bed7
and is possible to trade at a purity cost.