guix-devel

Re: Trusted Firmware-A (ARMv8)

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Trusted Firmware-A (ARMv8)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 12:09:00 -0400

Kevin Vigouroux via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System
distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> I would like to install Guix (System) on the Banana Pi M5 [0]. The
> board is “open source” but not the firmware released by Amlogic [1].
>
> The platform (Amlogic Meson S905X3) is currently not supported by the open
> source project Trusted Firmware-A [2][3].
>
> I am a user not an expert and I don’t know what to do.

This kind of question might get a better answer in help-guix@gnu.org.
:)

Well, if you are trying to preserve your computing freedom, you might
need to ask how well will the board operate without the closed firmware.

Will wifi work?  Probably not, but you can purchase usb wifi dongles.

Will graphics work... I've no idea.

Best of luck!

Joshua