guix-devel

Hi from a new committer!

From: John Kehayias
Subject: Hi from a new committer!
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 16:21:02 +0000

Hi Guix!

I'm pleased to announce that I have been granted commit access by the
esteemed Guix maintainer collective! I'm looking forward to continuing
to be a part of this wonderful community and helping review and push all
the great patches waiting for their time to shine. As one that had to
learn some patience with my first patches it is a priority for me to
make this easier and better for everyone.

As per the committer process, my primary key and signing subkey
fingerprints are below. You can also see the same signing subkey
associated with my GitLab account: <https://gitlab.com/podiki> and
GitHub: <https://github.com/podiki>, though perhaps not publicly
visible. It should also be available on your favorite keyserver as well,
associated with this email account, john.kehayias@protonmail.com.

Primary key fingerprint:
7E9F 5BF6 1680 4367 127B 7A87 F9E6 9FB8 5A75 54F1

Signing Subkey fingerprint:
A420 7B56 C255 109F 2CB3  157E 4990 97AE 5EA8 15D9

This email should be signed with that same signing (sub)key. I've had
some difficulties with this in the past, so please let me know if this
does not show as properly signed for you so I can correct that.

Below is a little introduction to me and Guix. In short, I love hacking
away on Guix and am happy to add my efforts as a committer now. Find me
on IRC and say hi! And feel free to point me to lingering patches,
especially short and simple ones, to get my feet wet.

Sincerely,
John Kehayias

First off, you may know me as "podiki" on the IRC channel. I'm very
appreciative of the reviews and guidance everyone has given to me so far
and can't wait to contribute more to Guix.

Let me briefly tell you about myself and Guix. And actually, you can
find out more from my Guix Days talk "My experiences as a newcomer to
Guix" at
<https://xana.lepiller.eu/guix-days-2022/guix-days-2022-experience-newcomer.mp4>
if you haven't already seen it.

In short, I currently work teaching writing at UPenn in the US, but my
background is as a theoretical physicist with 5 years as a postdoc at a few
places doing some fun research. Not much official computing (beyond
Mathematica on occasion), but that has been a hobby for as long as I can
remember.

I found out about Guix about 1.5 years ago, as a "Nix but better
language," and as an everything Lisp lover couldn't resist. I dove in
with my first patches for updating Mesa in that most recent core-updates
cycle adventure. I use Guix exclusively on my desktop (which I wrote
about here
<https://boilingsteam.com/i-love-arch-but-gnu-guix-is-my-new-distro/>)
and enjoy staying on the latest and greatest as best I can.

So that means my contributions have been rather varied, plenty on adding
or fixing packages I'm familiar with and rely on in my typical usage,
but also random things that have come up, like in the core-updates bug
fixing push. Most recently I worked on adding the '--emulate-fhs' option
to 'guix shell' containers (blog post forthcoming!). My next big effort
will be a patch series to add some Go packages and the peroxide
package/service (a bridge for using ProtonMail locally), which you can
see in its WIP form here (and I use daily, so far so good!):
<https://gitlab.com/podiki/guix-pod/-/commit/a16c2834c9d266512659d9c7ba4978192976c0d7>.
But priority number one is helping others with patches that have been
submitted and need review.

Let me wrap up by saying why I applied for commit access and what I hope
to do. In Guix I've found my forever distro home and I love working on
making it better. I try to be helpful on IRC (and other channels) and
want to be more involved in reviewing other's patches. Commit access
will help tackle that ever growing backlog of patches we get and be
continued motivation (responsibility) to keep contributing however I
can. I recently joined another channel and found that spurred me to help
keep packages up to date there, push fixes, and try to organize others
for larger changes. I also like to help other newcomers and do whatever
I can to continue to make Guix as great and enjoyable to use as
possible. This is what commit access will help me do.

Thanks for reading I look forward to continuing to work with all of you
in the wonderful Guix community, truly our greatest feature.