guix-devel

Re: branch master updated: gnu: eudev: Use new package style.

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: branch master updated: gnu: eudev: Use new package style.
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 22:13:16 -0400

Hello,

Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
>> a less frequent drop in substitute availability on master would
> considerably elevate my satisfaction with guix as a user. and in my
> reading that is the cost that Christopher talks about here.
>
> I was also unhappy enough to pull after the change was made, but
> substitutes were not available yet. This is pretty bad if you don’t have
> the local compute power (laptop) to build the entire Java bootstrap
> chain. Or just imagine needing Haskell… I just ended up using `guix
> pull --roll-back`, because that revision was unusable for me.
>
> Woudn’t it make sense to create a “feature branch” for mass rebuilds
> like this one (even if it’s just one package), get the substitutes
> ready and then merge to master?

I've recently wanted filling the gaps with the envisioned/proposed
team/feature-based branches workflow [0]; the result is that we can now
provide TLS certificates to team members or other people inclined to
manage the Cuirass job specifications via its web interface to select
which short-lived branches to build.

If team members would like one, message guix-sysadmin, and we can
provide you with a TLS cert for authenticating you on
https://ci.guix.gnu.org so that you can add/remove job specification
(branches) to build.

[0]  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63375

--