guix-devel

Re: Guix / Nix Benchmarks

From: kiasoc5
Subject: Re: Guix / Nix Benchmarks
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 14:55:21 -0400

On 6/19/23 08:54, Nicolas Graves via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. wrote:

One of the criticism that can be read online about Guix (compared to
Nix) is its speed. I have never tried Nix and probably won't in a near
future, but I was wondering if some work has been made to compare them
on basic tasks (package installation, removal...) (the reason why I ask
is to be able to give an honest answer to someone hesitating between
both).

At least package installation is faster with Nix. One reason is that Hydra (their "substitute server") has faster download speeds compared to CI/Bordeaux, likely due to multiple geographical locations/mirrors.