guix-devel

Re: Using (recursive #t) in (origin git-reference)

From: John Kehayias
Subject: Re: Using (recursive #t) in (origin git-reference)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 19:47:46 +0000

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 12:33 PM, Felix Lechner via \"Development of GNU Guix
and the GNU System distribution.\" wrote:

> Hi unmatched-paren!
>
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 11:52 AM ( <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
>>
>> (If you've already tried building it without the RECURSIVE?, then this
>> issue will go unnoticed, as the derivation paths [...]
>> are *exactly the same*
>
> Okay, that nipped me in the hiney. Now it works!
>
> Thanks for explaining! You are an invaluable as well as instant
> resource for this list.

Yes, thanks for the quick response (!

This happens enough I feel like it should be explicitly mentioned as a
potential "gotcha" in the manual, even if one can gleam it from understanding
package definitions and hashes, if it isn't already. Or maybe a little "tips"
section on packaging (or in the cookbook) with something like this and related
ones like idiosyncrasies/conventions in certain language ecosystems. We all
accumulate a lot of institutional knowledge as we do and pass it along, but
better to have it properly referenced.

John