guix-devel

FreeType Brotli (WOFF font) support; Godot 4

From: John Kehayias
Subject: FreeType Brotli (WOFF font) support; Godot 4
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 18:37:46 +0000

Hi Guix-devel-ers,

I have a local patch that updates Godot to (the big and exciting) version 4.
Despite the big changes in Godot, besides some larger changes to its package
definition, the only external change I came across was in FreeType. Guix's
FreeType is built without Brotli support, needed for WOFF fonts. Is there any
reason we don't build with Brotli?

The change needed is simply adding 'brotli' to the 'propagated-inputs' of the
freetype package. The closure increases from 79.9 MiB to 82.3 MiB.

If this is a reasonable change, I can go ahead and make it, I would say on the
mesa-updates branch I proposed. A change to freetype means over 8000 packages
need to be rebuilt (17,800 dependents), according to guix refresh. There is
significant overlap with what gets rebuilt for a Mesa update, and we could see
about bumping up harfbuzz too, per the discussion in
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64200>.

It is a lot of rebuilds but very minor changes in package definitions in just a
few places, hopefully making it easier to address any issues (or backing out
some changes for another time).

I can go ahead an make a branch with these few changes next week if there are
no objections to at least see how this will go, pending a build job. Sorry for
splitting this related discussion to a new thread, but I figure this would be
good for separate input.

Thanks!
John

PS: In my quick tests Godot 4 works great; probably we want to keep the
previous version 3 series as it is LTS now.