guix-devel

Re: Installation of Sheperd under Linux from Scratch

From: Adam Faiz
Subject: Re: Installation of Sheperd under Linux from Scratch
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 09:14:33 +0800

Hello Andreas,

On 6/22/23 12:56, Andreas Buchter wrote:
> I would like to install/use Shepherd as an init system under LFS (Linux from
> Scratch) https://www.linuxfromscratch.org <https://www.linuxfromscratch.org>
> No clue what would be required to do that. Could someone give me any hints?
> Thank you!

First, you need to build the Shepherd from source.

git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/shepherd.git
cd shepherd
autoreconf -vif

In the README there's instructions on how to configure and build it.

After building, you need to put a shepherd.scm config at
/usr/local/etc/shepherd.scm or a different location
specified with the --config=FILE option for the Shepherd.

Here's an example shepherd.scm config:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-01/msg00279.html

I've attached the shepherd-init wrapper script I use to do some initialisation
before running shepherd as init.

After that, I added the following to /etc/default/grub to use the Shepherd as
the default init system:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/local/sbin/shepherd-init"

Note that in the future 1.0 release of the Shepherd, the GOOPS interface will
be removed and the old configuration format above won't work anymore.
I plan on updating from 0.8.1 to the 0.10.x release so that I can update my
config to the nicer format[1] before then.

[1]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd/manual/shepherd.html#Legacy-GOOPS-Interface