guix-devel

Re: guidelines for package names (namespaces?)

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: guidelines for package names (namespaces?)
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 16:23:30 +0200

Am Wed, Jul 05, 2023 at 08:19:48PM +0000 schrieb John Kehayias:
> This is a good question and one I wonder about when packaging
> sometimes. The general guideline I've seen expressed in Python land at
> least (not sure if this is in the manual, but this discussion can go
> towards clarifying) is that generally "libraries" get the "python-"
> prefix but end user "applications" don't. I believe this is true for
> Golang as well, though exceptions abound.

See here:
   https://guix.gnu.org/de/manual/devel/en/html_node/Package-Naming.html
   https://guix.gnu.org/de/manual/devel/en/html_node/Python-Modules.html
   https://guix.gnu.org/de/manual/devel/en/html_node/Perl-Modules.html

I think there are no explicit rules for other languages, but the Perl and
Python approach has been taken as a general model.

> a related issue is that currently there are two parallel registries for guix
> packages:
>  1) module-global variables in the guile module system
>  2) the reified package registry of guix.
> the relationship between these two is not clear, there are no formal rules,
> or even guidelines. they are pretty much orthogonal.

See the first link above: "Both are usually the same and correspond to the
lowercase conversion of the project name chosen upstream (...)".

Andreas