guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: Ekaitz Zarraga
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 17:45:41 +0000

Hi,

> I think this is the biggest hurdle. A lot of folks are using gmail and
> its web based UI and it is just plain awful. I have made the switch to
> using neomutt (and isync + notmuch + mstmp) and it has made emails a joy
> to use and work with.

I use protonmail and they don't provide smtp access so I can't do git
send-mail as easy as other people do.

Protonmail has a bridge that deals with that but we don't have it packaged
because it's written in Go and it has TOO MANY dependencies.

This is not Guix's fault, but it's a problem Guix doesn't help fix either.
The only thing I can do with this is just copy-paste the result of git
format-patch and hope it's not a trouble for committers.

This doesn't mean I'm against the email based approach, in fact, I really
like it. The main problem I see is many people inside guix are not
sensible to people's problems and tastes.

Some people are forced to use tools for several reasons, too.

This is what I mean when I say many times emacs is kind of mandatory, and
this thread is kind of a demonstration of what I meant because the main
discussion evolved to: you can use this or that in emacs to ease the dev
experience.

I don't think software we use is the main problem, but the fact that we
are not always sensible with other people's experience.

Cheers,
Ekaitz