guix-devel

Re: Add anchors in HTML documentation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Add anchors in HTML documentation
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 22:30:04 +0100

Hi,

Christian Miller <christian.miller@dadoes.de> skribis:

> it would be a nice feature to have actual anchors in the HTML
> documentation.  I mean with that, that there is an anchor symbol which
> upon clicking, copies the exact URL to this section in the HTML
> documentation.
>
> This is useful, since currently I always need to go to the top of the
> documentation (Table of Contents) to grab the URL that jumps to the
> corresponding section, which I paste in the #Guix IRC channel as
> pointer on how to do specifc things.
>
> Can we maybe even do this not only for whole sections, but also for
> things like "console-font-service-type".  For example if someone asks
> how to install TTY fonts.

There are anchors for index entries, but you typically need to jump to
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Programming-Index.html>
to get the link, or to click on the symbol in a code snippet.

I agree that anchor symbols in the text would help.  We’d need to tweak
the Texinfo output and/or use @anchor more frequently in the Texinfo
source of the manual.

Thanks,
Ludo’.