guix-devel

Re: "random check" approach to Guix QA?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: "random check" approach to Guix QA?
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 16:55:38 +0100

Hello,

Am Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 03:11:29PM -0800 schrieb Andy Tai:
> Can the same approach be borrowed here, so when there is large number
> of impacted packages from a patch, say larger than 200, Guix QA just
> randomly select a subset sample out of these packages and build them,
> and in case of (new) failures ask the submitter to fix the (new)
> failure? And repeat this as needed.   This way patches can go thru the
> QA process more quickly.

notice that this approach requires to build a complete connected subgraph
starting with the changed package, so simple random sampling will not work.

For instance, if B depends on A, then C_1 to C_1000 depend on B, one needs
to always include B. Or if B_1 depends on A, B_2 on B_1, and so on until
B_1000 depends on B_999, one would need to only build a few steps
on the path.

Maybe it would make sense, one day when we have lots of idle build
power, to start by building at least the immediate dependents to get
an idea?

Andreas