guix-devel

Re: status of (future of) Guix QA

From: Jing Luo
Subject: Re: status of (future of) Guix QA
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:34:31 +0900

On 2023-12-27 05:41, Felix Lechner wrote:
Hi Luo Jing,

On Tue, Dec 26 2023, Jing Luo wrote:

Here is a reminder that I offered my computing resources

Unless folks here know you already, it might be helpful to tell the list
more about what you do with that shiny and powerful equipment in your
living room. It would be an honor to get to know you better!

I have no position or authority in the project. I am merely a bystander
trying to be helpful.

Yes, you are right. And the honor is mine.

I only recently (6 months ago) joined the cause of free software movement. My roles in the GNU project: www.gnu.org Chinese (zh-cn) and Japanese web translator, GNU webmaster. My account name on Savannah is "jing", which is my given name.

that shiny and powerful equipment in your living room.

I wouldn't say shiny, they are mostly second-hand or refurbished, but they are working really well and stable. Much of the equipment was purchased during the mining boom when I knew nothing about free software. When the crypto collapsed, I realized how unethical it was, and reused/repurposed the hardware for a homelab. Now I have more than 30 VM/LXC running, for my self-hosted services and the mirror site repo.jing.rocks [1]. I loaned 1 LXC container to a friend of mine in BC, Canada who does scientific calculation. As a side note, my apartment is powered by renewable energy only (so the electricity company claims), you can say I'm making amends. Also repo.jing.rocks somehow has less outages than savannah.

I believe "sharing is caring". The services don't require much CPU power actually, and since I have spare storage space, I thought I could help the community I heavily rely on. The thing is that I'm still getting used to guix, and I'm struggling to know what/how to configure the system. I'm most familiar with Debian though.

Now, a message for x86_amd64 kernel developers on the list, which may look like an ad: Are you suffering from long compiling time? Tired of waiting for the build to finish? I can loan a VM to you. With "make -j 200", it only takes 55 seconds to compile the kernel from scratch using the default kconfig, and 78 seconds with "make -j 128". Building GCC only takes less than 4 minutes- ("make -j 200"). Contact me for more details if you are interested.

[1] https://jing.rocks/2023/09/16/the-matrix-of-repo-jing-rocks

Happy hecking,

--
Jing Luo