guix-devel

Re: On the road to the next release: testing the installer

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR
Subject: Re: On the road to the next release: testing the installer
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 18:43:30 +0100

Hi Vivien,

Quoting Vivien Kraus (2024-02-10 11:43:33)
> Le vendredi 09 février 2024 à 12:24 +0100, Tanguy LE CARROUR a écrit :
> > Grub asked me right away my passphrase and… it did not work! 😱
> > After several attempts, I figured out that the keyboard layout
> > was apparently set to `qwerty` even though I had selected `bépo
> > AFNOR`
> > during the configuration. When I eventually typed my passphrase
> > in `querty` Grub started and boot my system and… I had to type the
> > passphrase a second time, but, fortunately this time in `bépo`!
> > I checked the `config.scm` and the layout was properly set in the
> > bootloader declaration.
> This is unfortunate, but a known workaround is to boot and log in, then
> run cryptsetup luksAddKey <the device>, then enter your passphrase (to
> unlock the drive), then switch your keyboard layout to qwerty, then hit
> the exact same keys, and confirm by hitting the exact same keys. So
> now, you can unlock the drive with either your passphrase in a bépo
> layout or your passphrase in a qwerty layout.

Thanks! Actually, someone suggested exactly the same thing during
the last Guix@Paris. The other options were:

- have a second Qwerty keyboard around when booting; and
- do some voodoo magic with the boot partition.

I’ll definitively give a try to the `luksAddKey` on Monday.

Regards.

--
Tanguy