guix-devel

Re: A basic Shepherd bug?

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: A basic Shepherd bug?
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 09:54:29 +0000

hi Felix,

> > you should follow the instructions in [1]; namely:
> >
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-12/msg00018.html
> >
> > together with "Installing development snapshots with Guix" in
> > shepherd's README to add shepherd's channel.
>

> I did so on a production system which I do not reboot often. Two days
> ago, I reconfigured and saw a new Shepherd version being deployed. It
> used up a lot of CPU cycles until I rebooted.

just to clarify: you `guix system reconfigure` into a new shepherd version, and
after that the currently running shepherd init process went 100% CPU, i.e. it
was busy looping in one thread?

> It makes sense that upgrading the Shepherd requires a reboot, but maybe
> a warning somewhere would be appropriate, if possible. Maybe an email to
> root?

unfortunately a lot of the infrastructure around guix is lacking explicit
formal description of dependencies/requirements. e.g. there's nothing (that i
know of) in the shepherd config files (which are generated by `guix system
reconfigure`) about what shepherd version they require/assume.

a quick and dirty solution here could be to manually emit an assert into the
config file that there's an exact match between the shepherd that generated the
config file, and the shepherd process trying to load it. a warning could be
issued that the shepherd process is unable to load/process the generated config
file until a reboot... which would probably be overkill in most cases.

https://ngnghm.github.io/

this^ blog has interesting thoughts on migration and staged computation. it's a
most interesting vision of how these abstractions could be formally captured,
and what the resulting computing system would look like.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39