guix-devel

Re: doc: Removing much of Binary Installation

From: Suhail Singh
Subject: Re: doc: Removing much of Binary Installation
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 15:52:46 -0500

Matt <matt@excalamus.com> writes:

> I wonder if we should have similar concerns about the Debian and
> openSUSE packages?

FWIW, as an openSUSE Tumbleweed user, I believe Tumbleweed users who
don't care if there is an easy way to uninstall Guix would be better
served by using =guix-install.sh= as opposed to =zypper=.  The issues of
"unnecessary files" applies to Tumbleweed as well (and I believe the
same would be true for Debian as well).

In addition, the manpages can get out of sync.  The reason for the
latter is that doing =sudo -i guix pull --fallback= doesn't generate
manpages.  However, the version of Guix installed via =zypper= does
install manpages (presumably generated via =help2man=).  As such, after
updating Guix, running something like =man guix= results in outdated
manpage being shown.  If Guix installation is done via
=guix-install.sh=, no manpage is shown which, in my opinion, is the
lesser evil.

On a related note, it would help if Guix would install manpages in
addition to infopages.  Not sure if this omission constitutes a bug or a
missing feature.

--
Suhail