guix-devel

Re: Status of ‘core-updates’

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Status of ‘core-updates’
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 11:55:35 +0100

Hi Ludo,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> What’s the status of ‘core-updates’?  What are the areas where help is
> needed?

Disclaimer: I've been quite busy with work recently and haven't been
able to work on core-updates that much (having to build the world
locally doesn't help).

Currently, the desktop system image doesn't build anymore because we've
also integrated patches to use pkgconf instead of pkg-config.  I think
the effort to actually make that work with all of our packages is going
to be a bit too much to handle right now.  IMO, we should probably
revert/branch out before then so that we can push core-updates past the
finish line.  A feature branch to integrate pkgconf properly could then
be worked on later.

Other than that, I was able to get a working desktop before the
aforementioned patches but with some locale errors that I fixed with
ae07bc2dd0124b625acf70e594ccc90d6d128562, so I'm not expecting too much
trouble.  We'll probably have to add libxcrypt as an input to some other
packages that I haven't tested yet, but that's quite trivial.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret