guix-devel

Re: Coordinators for patch review session on Tuesday

From: Christina O'Donnell
Subject: Re: Coordinators for patch review session on Tuesday
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:27:44 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

1. Changing the tag to reviewed-looks-good

It doesn't look like this worked. The way to do this is in the instructions are
4. 'Set a user tag' [0], probably the easiest way is to send an email (I do get
funny results sometimes with my email client):

Subject: setting usertag on 65938

user guix
usertag 65938 + reviewed-looks-good
quit

The first line is important it has to be 'user guix' for it to appear on the
patch review reports [1]. I think I messed up the instructions in the Wiki -
you have to have a + in between the bug number and the tag you want to set
(sorry about that). Please try again.

Ah I got it this time. I was missing the 'user guix'. I didn't read the wiki and tried to look it up from the debbugs documentation.

This is really just a way of signalling that reviews are happening - so trying
to keep us in sync. The usertags we're using are:

- patch-review-hackers-list
- under-review
- escalated-review-request
- waiting-on-contributor
- reviewed-looks-good
If I change the patch quite a lot, should I mark it as 'escalated-review-request' instead of 'reviewed-looks-good'?

And should I remove them from the patch-review-hackers-list after I've responded
The patch changes all look reasonable to me, you've already done a lot:
Great, thanks! Good to know I'm doing things vaguely right!
1. You should add a reviewed-by trailer:
Reviews are contributions from our community (and work!) so we should recognise
them and add trailers. It also helps the maintainer know who did the review and
therefore the level of confidence.

Basically just add 'Reviewed-by: A Person <a@email.com> - [2]
Sure, do you want me resubmit these patches to add that?
It looks like your updated patch retriggered QA, so if you look here and the
foolow the Data Service link on the right you can see it's building it:

   https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/65938

The last step will be for a maintainer to see that it's built correctly, see
your review and to apply it - great job for a first patch review!
Wonderful! The first of many, I'm hoping.

Kind regards,
Christina