guix-devel

Re: Functional package interface

From: spacecadet
Subject: Re: Functional package interface
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 01:17:49 +0000

Hi Nicolas

Isn't what you're trying to do already in Guix? Have a look at
package-inputs-rewrite right there :
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Defining-Package-Variants.html

I want to have this but more powerful, I'd like to do something like
define an operating system with all instances of a package replaced.
Maybe something like that is already possible, but I haven't figured
out a way.

As far as I know, with package-input-rewriting you would still have to
manually add it to all the services in your operating-system
definition. Or just use module-set! and manage the environment state
some other way.

You also only have access to the input fields of packages, this is
something parameterize packages tackles too, being able to add inputs
that go anywhere in the package definition. Build phases for example,
to enable common compile options across multiple packages more easily.

I've also been working on general package propagation in RDE, it's still
a work in progress, but it's not far from it :
https://lists.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde-devel/patches/49956

I'll take a look. I knew there had to be more people working on this idea,
but it's not always easy to find these projects.

- sc