guix-devel

Re: Hackathon: fix build errors on the "master" branch.

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Hackathon: fix build errors on the "master" branch.
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 21:03:01 +0300

On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 04:52:29PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi Guix,
>
> for the past weeks the "master" branch has been in pretty poor state
> according to ci.guix.gnu.org.  It keeps hovering at around 56% progress,
> which is a far cry from the 80+% we used to have in the old days.
>
> A lot of packages are in fact broken.  Many more are marked as broken
> due to a bug affecting ci.guix.gnu.org.
>
> It would be a good idea to do a little spring cleaning and go through
> the dashboard for the master branch and work on fixing builds that are
> currently broken on x86_64-linux.  (Other architectures are in worse
> state, but fixing x86_64-linux may be something we can actually
> accomplish.)
>
> What do you think?

Using the QA¹ page we can see another data point of how the different
architectures are doing.  Also, assuming there are 30,000 packages, the
4.3% difference on bayfront between x86_64 and i686 would be 129
packages.  Given how easy it is to build for i686 on x86_64 I'd suggest
also going through some of the i686 packages which don't build and
checking if there's a build failure that can be patched or if it's a
case of the software not supporting 32-bit architectures.

¹ https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/master

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא