guix-europe

Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 17:19:49 +0200

Le Thu, 17 Sep 2020 22:28:49 +0300,
Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> a écrit :

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 05:34:30PM +0200, zimoun wrote:
> > Hi Efraim,
> >
> > On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 at 15:30, Efraim Flashner
> > <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:
> > > Some other thoughts: A 'food break' every 3 hours or so. It
> > > doesn't matter what timezone you're in, shifting a meal an hour
> > > earlier/later isn't a big deal and then people don't skip a talk
> > > to eat.
> >
> > How long the slot for ’food break’ should be?  30min?
>
> Probably a good length for a break. Of course with any break people
> will take while to filter back in.
>

> > > Etherpad document or something per talk. Lets people have
> > > real-time comments about the talk that possibly someone else can
> > > answer or combine into a "deeper" question. Also if we pre-record
> > > talks and have a 'joint watching time', someone can watch it
> > > later (or later in the day!) and still make comments in the
> > > document.
> >
> > Do you have in mind an Etherpad instance that could be used?
> >

> Nope, nothing useful on that front :/  I suppose IRC would also work,
> followed up with a mailing list post outlining what happened.
>

> > Cheers,
> > simon

I've participated in the last day of the activitypub conference, which
was held online. They had a nice way of doing things, and I think we
should consider doing something similar.

One week before the beginning of the conference, they released the
pre-recorded talks, so everyone in the world could watch them in
advance. With live talks, we necessarily miss at least 1/3 of the
world, since they are asleep.

One week in advance is good, because at the conference, people still
remember the talks, and also had time to think about them and have
questions or want to talk more about the subject. During the conference
itself, there would be a Q&A session for each talk. There was also a
BOF session (although I'm not completely sure what that is exactly... a
less prepared Q&A session, without a talk?).

If we are going to have the conference going, I think we should start a
call for presentation very soon, and select the talks we'd like to see.
We could add a page to the website, advertise it on the website (with a
banner or something like that), on social media, etc. We need to give
people some time to prepare, and if we decide to publish the
presentations before the conference, we'd have this kind of schedule:

call for presentation: as soon as possible
end of CFP: october 20th
official list of selected talks: october 22nd
talks released, with final schedule: november 14th
conference: november 21st

The conference would have an initial presentation (simply for opening
the conference), followed by Q&A sessions for the talks everyone has
(hopefully) already seen. If we don't need to find time for
presentations, we can have longer Q&A sessions, say 30 minutes, which
can allow us to have more presentations too.

The afternoon could be dedicated to smaller groups who want to talk
about specific topics. I'm not sure if we should set a planning for
these beforehand (so people interested in only a few topics know where
and when to show up), or if we want to encourage people to come up with
their topic on the spot.