guix-europe

Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 00:55:50 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 17:20, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> I've participated in the last day of the activitypub conference, which
> was held online. They had a nice way of doing things, and I think we
> should consider doing something similar.

Cool!

> call for presentation: as soon as possible
> end of CFP: october 20th
> official list of selected talks: october 22nd
> talks released, with final schedule: november 14th
> conference: november 21st

I am fine with your plan.  Just it seems better to run the event on Sunday 22nd.
However, I still have the same unknowns about the broadcast.  And to
be honest, I have not been able to dedicate some time, preferring much
fun stuff.

> The conference would have an initial presentation (simply for opening
> the conference), followed by Q&A sessions for the talks everyone has
> (hopefully) already seen. If we don't need to find time for
> presentations, we can have longer Q&A sessions, say 30 minutes, which
> can allow us to have more presentations too.
>
> The afternoon could be dedicated to smaller groups who want to talk
> about specific topics. I'm not sure if we should set a planning for
> these beforehand (so people interested in only a few topics know where
> and when to show up), or if we want to encourage people to come up with
> their topic on the spot.

Well, just to fix the idea and be concrete on what we have to do on
the technical side.  The ActivityPub Conf website is here:

    <https://conf.activitypub.rocks>
source here: <https://github.com/sebilasse/activitypub-origami>

Some hosting is done there: <https://fosshost.org/>
The videos have been edited and pushed there: <https://conf.tube/>
Well, it seems a good idea if it is possible.

For each BoF, they have a forum webpage and sometimes some additional material.

<https://conf.activitypub.rocks/#bof>
<https://socialhub.activitypub.rocks/t/activitypub-experimentation-towards-ap-v2/840>
<https://socialhub.activitypub.rocks/t/getting-extensions-into-the-activitystreams-2-0-namespace/1001>

And for each video, they have also a forum webpage:

<https://socialhub.activitypub.rocks/t/the-activitypub-panel/929>
<https://bbb.fosshost.org/playback/presentation/2.0/playback.html?meetingId=6bf84940e4172b5f7757c371c6d4ab6bbc32fbf6-1601648151451>

Therefore, we still have the same technical issue: how to stream?
BigBlueButton?  If yes, which instance?  The French Aquilenet one used
last time will not be enough, Andreas said.

Do we ask to <https://bbb.fosshost.org/b>?  I volunteer to do so if
needed.  But I would not be outside the scope and ask something (i.e.,
lose their time) if we disagree and another solution is preferred.

Since Christopher L. Webber run the ActvityPub Conf, I am planning to
drop them an email and ask them for some advice/help.  Any objection?
:-)

WDTY?

All the best,
simon