guix-europe

Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 09:49:50 +0100

On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 01:31:45PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 05 Dec 2020 at 09:59, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:
> > Not sure I missed something, but are we planning Guix days again for
> > FOSDEM? As we have a devroom too and because the events are virtual we
> > can potentially coordinate/integrate those days even better.
>
> From my point of view, redo something with Talks+Q&A seems to early.
> Personally, I was still digesting what I have learnt.  Well, the even
> had been richer than I initially thought. :-) Other said, redo an
> extended version of the previous format appears to me too much.

Let me suggest this: Online FOSDEM will probably be much larger than
normal. It is a great opportunity to advertise our work. I think a
Guix day can be really good, but maybe we should do it differently
than the other Guix days.

First of all, if we do it *after* the devroom so we can invite people
to participate! Since we have the Guix/Guile devroom on Saturday we
could run a Guix meeting place in parallel to FOSDEM - essentially a
live hacking support IRC - and the actual Guix day with talks (fringe
event) on Monday. The devroom organizers can help coordinate and
organise the Guix day. How does that sound? Tuesday we can keep open
for hacking.

Also we should not do away with a great tradition :). It brings us new
people and the Guix days have rendered us new opportunities incl.
funding of Mes.

> However, people said as feedback that they would like more time to
> discuss in smaller groups about specific topic.  And since, the FossHost
> BBB instance is still up (I am using it for the Outreachy with Magali
> and Gábor ;-)), and should be up until I-do-not-know-when, we could
> imagine create X “rooms” with a proposed topic/schedule of each room and
> let’s people discuss; with the rule that notes are taken and then
> published at last on guix-devel, even raw.

Great idea.

> where X could be:
>
>  - main: our usual discussions
>  - contrib: continue discussions initiated from main, technical hyper
>    specialized topic (e.g. how to fix mdouler TeXlive)
>  - unrelated: people speak as they could do during breaks
>  - name-it
>
> and because of timezone, we *must* have a schedule backbone.
>

> The only unclear point (for me) is how to deal with moderation.  For the
> previous, Julien, Tobias and me were accepting people to join the room,
> and we spent a couple of hours the day before to check how to deal with
> abuse, etc.  The question is: how to moderate several rooms?  Full free
> or which rule?

I suggest an open house with the remit to kick people off if they
continue to misbehave after one warning. Most of us are well
intentioned and I am increasingly disliking the political correctness
imposed on us. Though I realise we have had some bad behaviour
already. They are easy to spot and deal with even if they sign on with
different accounts.

We should make it easy on ourselves. That is our right as organisers.
I am sure FOSDEM does the same.

Pj.