guix-europe

Funding Guix?

From: zimoun
Subject: Funding Guix?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:36:56 +0100

Hi Pjotr, all,

Because it is tangent to «Buying storage for Berlin & Bayfront» [0], I
am starting another thread.

0: Message-ID 20220117081608.rhv4omxezuxskkee@thebird.nl

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 09:16, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:

> If one of us has an EU based company it could act as an intermediate.

That’s the idea of Guix Europe, no?

> We could even set up a 'slush fund' to move some extra money across. I
> do the same with my university. We could use that to pay stipends and
> travel.

Yeah, for sure.  If one has ’slush fund’, one could pay what the project
needs.  And from my experience, the easiest to spend ’slush fund’ is to
buy hardware or organize events. :-)

However, again from my experience, it is difficult nor impossible to
move and collect, for instance two, ’slush fund’ from, say two,
different fiscal locations (and bank accounts) and then spend both as a
whole for a bigger thing.

(I am not sure to completely understand the meaning of ’slush fund’
though :-))

Well, to me, the idea of Guix Europe is to act as a “consortium” for the
project Guix.  Concretely, be a legal entity with a bank account and
smooth the transactions.

Recently, I had an informal chat with one person* strongly involved in
the creation of « The Coq Consortium » [1].  Well, do not take me wrong,
I am not saying that Guix Europe should be transformed into something as
«The Coq Consortium».  I am just pointing how other projects are
structured for funding the invisible work of maintenance and others; as
I tried to raise with other “foundations”. :-)

*person, co-author of the Coq’Art book. :-)

1: <https://coq.inria.fr/consortium>

> PS we are thinking of setting up a consultancy company for software
> development as a worker-owned B-corp. Guix-based of course ;).

I do not know who is “we” :-)  For sure, it could be really helpful.

Cheers,
simon