guix-europe

Re: Guix Foundation website

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Guix Foundation website
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 18:33:00 +0200

Hello,

Am Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 10:44:26PM +0200 schrieb Timo Wilken:
> Haha, I guess that'll be me. I hope I haven't set expectations too high -- I
> can make a few changes to the site, but if anyone else wants to have a go, I
> won't stop you! :)

nice you recognised yourself :)

> I'd say the lack of TLS is the biggest issue with the website at the moment.
> IceCat (with "HTTPS-only mode" enabled) keeps redirecting me to https://...
> and showing me the contents of https://www.multiprecision.org/mpc/ instead!

That should be solved by moving the site to bayfront and maybe setting
up some CI type hook so that every push to the git results in the website
being rebuilt by haunt and updated. I think Simon did it for the 10 Years
website, but whoever is willing to take this up will be welcome.
I am just hosting it temporarily on my VM.

> If I find some time this week or next, I'll send you some patches. I'll Cc:
> guix-europe@gnu.org for anything major so anyone interested can give feedback.

This will be welcome! Or create an account on the framagit.

> Simon mentioned hledger (which I also use). We could run hledger-web (packaged
> in Guix!) on the same machine as the webserver, and add a proxy rule to
> Apache/nginx, e.g. to proxy /ledger to localhost:5000. Then run:
> hledger-web --serve --capabilities=view -I -f .../accounting.ledger \
>   --base-url=http://foundation.guix.info/ledger
> ...and that's it! That would give anyone a read-only view of the ledger file
> with searching/filtering capability and a couple of charts. hleger-web would
> reload the ledger file automatically as far as I know, so no need to restart
> it on each git push.
> Let me know if that'd be of interest.

That sounds very interesting, please go ahead! I suppose we can keep the
same ledger file format, and just the backend changes?

Andreas