gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] Next steps for the GWL

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] Next steps for the GWL
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 11:46:21 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> My goals for the future (in no particular order) are as follows:
>
> * add support for running workflows from a file (without
>   GUIX_WORKFLOW_PATH)

This is now implemented.

> * add support for executing processes in isolated environments
>   (containers) — this requires a better understanding of process inputs.

A primitive version of this is also implemented now.  Every generated
script supports containerization when GWL_CONTAINERIZE is set.  (I don’t
expect users to set this manually, but to have a “driver” script that
sets it according to user configurations.)

This is one of the use cases that needs to be understood better.  I
would like different execution backends to be available in the generated
job scripts without having to make this decision at preparation time.  I
want developers to be able to distribute workflow artifacts that are
flexible enough to execute the workflow in different ways, so I think
container support must be switchable at runtime.

--
Ricardo