gzz-dev

[Gzz] Storm URIs

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: [Gzz] Storm URIs
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:53:48 +0200

Hi,

In the rewrite of Mediaserver to Storm, I am planning to change the package to use non-standard URIs:

   storm:block:<HEX>
   storm:pointer:<URI>

<HEX> is the hexadecimal representation of a block id. (Canonically, the hex digits are uppercase, but case doesn't matter when reading them in.) <URI> is any URN-like (i.e., persistent) URI, used as the identifier of a Storm pointer. If a pointer record contains a non-URI string as the pointer id (i.e., an old-style cell id), this will be interpreted as "storm:pointer:urn:urn-5:<OLD-ID>". (I should increment the gzz pointer format version number...)

Non-standard URI schemes are not nice, but relatively common practice (unfortunately). I think that when things have settled down more, we should file an informal RFC applying for a urn:storm namespace, but not yet. (We'll then deprecate storm: URIs.) The RFC process may bring changes in semantics with it, of course.

Alternatives to the above scheme include using x-storm: or urn:x-storm: for now. Maybe these are better. (URIs actually don't have the x- mechanism in the standard though, AFAIK.) Opinions?

- Benja