gzz-dev

[Gzz] 11th (Benja)

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: [Gzz] 11th (Benja)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:38:53 +0200

Work on distributed hashtable stuff. Two implementations seem to be interesting to us: JXTA GISP [http://gisp.jxta.org] and Circle [http://thecircle.org.au]. Circle has a quite active user community. Neither project currently address malicious peers, but both are basically interested in this.

GISP needs JXTA needs Java 1.3 AFAIK; Circle is written in Python and doesn't currently run under Jython. That would have to be addressed somehow. One possibility not involving changes to Circle would be to write a Storm server in Python, serving data through HTTP-- this doesn't seem too big a task, actually. If we do this right, we could probably run the server through Jython as well when Circle connection isn't desired.

So we might actually get into real p2p already this year.

Could we set up a permanent Circle peer on the Jyu network (e.g. himalia)? I think this would be a nice contribution to the circle community (and it's not hard to do).

- Benja