gzz-dev

[Gzz] 19th

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: [Gzz] 19th
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:04:49 +0200

More thinking about what a possible Storm RFC should contain. I'm drafting a "Persistency Commitment," essentially saying: Future specifications MUST ensure that implementations can still read all blocks that are readable according to the current specification. (Not be able to read the application format encapsulated in the block, of course: only extracting the payload and providing all necessary meta-data from the headers.) This has some interesting consequences: for example, x- headers are really bad in this type of specification, because if they get popular, essentially there's no way for future implementations not to support them (because users will reasonably expect that old blocks continue to work).

Daishi Kato, the maintainer of GISP (gisp.jxta.org, a distributed hashtable impl), is considering writing a UDP version of GISP which will be Kaffe-compliant. (The current impl uses JXTA, which requires Java 1.4... I told Daishi that we're interested in distributed hashtables and explained Storm somewhat, but that we want to run on purely free software.)

- Benja