gzz-dev

Re: Jython memory inefficiency [Was: Re: [Gzz] 28th-29th (jvk)]

From: Janne Kujala
Subject: Re: Jython memory inefficiency [Was: Re: [Gzz] 28th-29th (jvk)]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:42:56 +0200

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 07:23:16PM +0200, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > The code is executed 8 times for each of the key presses.
> >
> > When the thrashing begins, java process memory size grows from
> > about 180M to 930M. After that, I can press keys 6400 times
> > while memory size grows to about 1050M. Then, I get
> >
> >     Out of Memory
> >     You might want to try the -mx flag to increase heap size
> >
> > I'm using Sun's j2sdk1.4.1_01.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Write that part of the code in Java? Jython isn't meant for that kind
> of heavy number / string crunching. It's a glue language.

That does not explain java using 8 times the specified heap size
(-Xmx128M) of memory.

The problem disappears if I add the following piece of code:

    if 0:
        texcoords += [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ]
        texcoords += [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ]
        texcoords += [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ]
        texcoords += [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ]
        texcoords += [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ]
        texcoords += [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ]
        texcoords += [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ]

where the "texcoords" line is repeated 93 times.

        jvk