gzz-dev

[Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz ./TODO doc/Gzz_Frontend_Vobs.rst doc/uml/vo.

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz ./TODO doc/Gzz_Frontend_Vobs.rst doc/uml/vo...
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:13:49 +0200

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 09:10:30PM +0200, Asko Soukka wrote:
> >     - enhancing umltool
> > +       - metapost directive: like .uml, but simply a metapost diagram.
>
> This could be done with single pass in metapost directive, but
> could you explain how to use metapost in this.
>
> 1) Dump all directive content into single file?
> 2) Compile that file with metapost?
> 3) Convert metapost output into png?

Yes, that would be it.

> Probably I'll start with copy&pasting these calls for 2) and 3) from
> uml-tool, so if they should be used differently in this case, tell.

I looked in some of the code of umltool and already there noticed that
this is a habit you really need to work on curtailing: whenever you
start reaching for the copy-paste keys, *FIRST* think whether you could
actually abstract out some of it.

Here, it would probably be a mp->png converter jython module; then
it would be easy to enhance it in *ONE* place, for error detection,
options &c.

Do not take this too harshly: you're doing a very good job. This is
just a small adjustment of direction to make sure the code stays
in a good shape.

        Tuomas