gzz-dev

[Gzz] xx-12-02 - 10-1-03 (hh)

From: hemppah
Subject: [Gzz] xx-12-02 - 10-1-03 (hh)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:47:35 +0200

After a while, I will inform other people about the things which I have done
recently.

Thesis:

During past few weeks, I have been mostly concentrated on reading references (~
140 references) more carefully with a red pen (underlining the key factors of
each publication) and selecting the ones, which I'm going to use in my thesis.
As a result, I have a far more comprehensive idea on what I should do in my
thesis than before christmas holidays.

As I mentioned in some point before the christmas, I felt that my thesis project
was in a crisis state :). Now, however, after a second round of reading, I feel
some degree of alleviation. Thus, in my head, I have drawn a picture which I
will follow when 'constructing' the thesis.

(This is a high level list, much more information is left in my head ;))

1. Concentrate on data-sharing in a field of p2p, specifically to searching and
routing, and related security/scalability issues (inform this at the beginning
of text!)

2. Categorize different searching techniques (broadcast/DHT/hybrid, there is no
other approaches!) and how this correlates to the network topology (decentalized
and unstructured/decentalized, but structured) and their characteristics.
Present a summary table of existing p2p systems, describing average path
lengths, join/leave overhead, space requirements, vulnerability

-partially done this in research_problems document and other documents

3. Describe approaches' weaknesses and strengths, their implicit assumptions and
 wrong assumptions, open issues in data sharing/approaches, security, proposals
for problem solving, presented frameworks, future directions

-partially done this in research_problems document and other documents

4. Give an overview of GZZ, including Storm (blocks and IDs) and urn-5

-easy to write (we have some documentation on these)

5 Define GZZ's requirements carefully and accurately in p2p environment (e.g.
"obtain data efficiencly if exists"), blockID and urn-5 etc.

-partially done this in research_problems document
-is there any documentation about how GZZ p2p should be used (e.g. usecase-like
scenario) when searching/obtaining data from GZZ's p2p network ? And what are
the objectives (in addition to those which I have listed in research_problems) ?

6. Create a model, which is used to analyse/compare existing systems GZZ (this
is a major part of the thesis), and of course, with that model, we are able to
answer to thesis' research problems. Again, how formally should I done this

-I have to think this more (I don't know whether the model is formal or not).
-suggestions ?

-The very next thing to do is a to write reqruirements and definition for GZZ
and p2p (first I have to know what do we want, though). After that, create a
model and do analysis/comparing with it. When completed, start from 1.

-Hermanni