gzz-dev

[Gzz] Re: PEG 1013 (clipping) issues

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: [Gzz] Re: PEG 1013 (clipping) issues
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:51:45 +0100

Tuomas, please reply to this when you have time.

Benja Fallenstein wrote [2002-12-19]:
- VobCoorder doesn't know which VobScene it is in, or which VobMap
  it's using. This makes it impossible to implement this functionality
for OpenGL changing only GLVobCoorder, since the OpenGL state is altered
  by placing a new Vob in the VobMap.

I see three options, all of which aren't really nice.

1. VobCoorder is made to know its VobScene
2. VobCoorder.clip() is passed the VobScene
3. VobScene gets GraphicsAPI-specific subclasses

I don't really care, but I think 1) would be the least harmful (it make some sense for the components to know the whole, I think, and the potential for reuse of the components w/o reusing the whole is, for practical purposes, nil). This could be implemented by a setVobScene() method that'd be called by VobScene's constructor, and would throw an exception if the VobScene were set already.

- How deep a stack is allowed / required? This makes a lot of difference
  for the OpenGL implementation which has native stacks of fixed depth.

I dunno-- what size are OpenGL's stacks?

I would consider it solid design, though, not to put an arbitrary limit on stack size and make this an internal issue, using OpenGL stacks as long as possible and an own implementation otherwise. But it is ok to defer this until later.

- Should clipping with this method work with nonlinear coordinate systems?
  This is a very fundamental issue for OpenGL, since if the answer is no,
  we can use clip planes and get rid of much unwanted geometry, getting
better performance; otherwise, we need to use stencil and draw everything.

I don't really understand the tradeoffs here. Hmm. I think that we do need to be able to clip an area inside a nonlinear cs and then draw inside that nonlinear cs; nonlinear cs would be much less useful if it weren't possible to draw an ordinary cell in it, for example.

Again, it might be warranted to use one algorithm as long as no nonlinear cs are involved, and a less efficient one otherwise (be sure that both are tested).

- Benja