gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Contingency plans

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Contingency plans
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:15:22 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:
On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 05:30:10PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:

Sorry for not replying to this earlier. It's been on my mind.

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

http://bootstrap.org/lists/ba-ohs-talk/0205/msg00093.html

We need to do a plan; I propose to go over the patent and see which claims apply where.

Haven't gone through the whole thing recently, but the first claim is already dead on point with our structural views.

Oh, but this is common with patents: the claims start very broadly and
then narrow down. The point is that if anything has existed before
the patent that would have been covered by a claim, then the claim is
not valid.

You see, claim 1 just about applies to multidimensional spreadsheets as well.
Of course, IANAL, but ...

Likewise, the most narrow claims usually don't cover anything else.

The middle claims are the important ones. Which ones have prior art and which don't.

Thanks for explaining. But: Zzstructure *is* just a multidimensional spreadsheet *except* that if you go up-right-down-left, you don't necessarily end up where you started (and that not all cells need to be connected on all dimensions)-- i.e., that a free posward connector can connect to any free negward connector on the same dimension, with absolutely no additional rules. Claim 1 already covers this. -- It doesn't cover the usual zz views yet; claim 5 does this:

5. The method of claim 2, wherein each said view has defined
> a horizontal axis and a vertical axis, the method further comprising:

said step of presenting uses a raster order including a vertical strip
> consisting of said current cell and a contiguous subset of said cells
which are connected to said current cell in a first said dimension
> which is mapped to said vertical axis of said view;

said raster order further including horizontal strips each consisting
> of one said cell present in said vertical strip and a contiguous subset
> of said cells which are connected to said one said cell in one
said dimension, wherein said one said dimension is a second dimension
> which is mapped to a horizontal axis of said view, thereby presenting
> said Rasa order in an I-shape.

(I cannot find where the "Rasa order" is "said," tho.)

- Benja