gzz-dev

[Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz/Documentation/misc storm-urn-application.txt

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] gzz/Documentation/misc storm-urn-application.txt
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:31:49 +0200

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 06:07:36PM +0200, Alatalo Toni wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> > hashes, after all). Read permissions are implemented by the pool a block
> > is placed in: If you have access to the pool, you can read the block.
>
> and i guess copy(right) can't be separated from that, i.e. if you can read
> you can copy (although it's not the intention) .. right? or if you think
> is stupid just ignore :)

No, not stupid. This is a very deep issue we need to take a very careful stand
on.

1) We don't condone copyright violation: copyright law is a law and should be
upheld
   or changed through political means.

2) We do not, however, also condone limiting what people can do with their
   computers automatically because of copyrights: it is each person's own
responsibility
   what they do. Crowbars are sold in shops even though they could be used
   for breaking&entering a house.

So, pools can be marked as copyrighted, i.e. "shouldn't be copied", but this
should not be *enforced* by software, but the user *should* be notified.

Not completely certain yet.

        Tuomas