gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Canon3 PEG repost

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Canon3 PEG repost
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 21:14:35 +0300

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 07:32:24PM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:

> Since Tuomas requested it, here's the current version of the PEG reposted.

Basically, I think this should be a part of the process:
once a PEG has been posted and issues raised and resolved,
it should be reposted for another round of consideration.

Excellent, this seems almost ready.

> - Does this also cover bags and sequences? Reification?
>
>    RESOLVED: Of course. All RDF structures (anything
>    that can be serialized as triples) can be
>    represented as Canon3.

Sorry, I was unclear with the question. I was referring
to the CVS versioning of bags and sequences.

If sequences get no special handling, deleting one member of a sequence
changes *EVERY* succeeding triple, which can't be good...

> - Do we really need a new format?
>
>    RESOLVED: None of the existing formats are canonical.

"canonical, meaning that X"

would be nice ;)

> - Is quoting with three quotes really what we want?
>
>    RESOLVED: Multiline literals is really what
>    we want-- imagine you have a 1K HTML document
>    as a literal and the encoder puts it all
>    in one line. (Also, with multiline literals,
>    CVS's diffs are more useful.)
>
>    Multiline literals are enclosed in three quotes in N3.

Ahh, *THAT* is the reason ;) You could start with the
"compatibility with N3" sentence.

> - Why `Normalization Form C`_?
>
>    RESOLVED: Because it's required by N3, and because
>    it's the standard on the Web (http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/).

... "Section 4.1.3 gives the rationaly for choosing normalization
form C over the others."

> Specification
> =============
>
> The name of the format is *Canon3*. This version is identified
> by the URI <http://fenfire.org/2003/Canon3/1.0>. It is related to
> both `Notation 3`_ and `NTriples`_. Canon3 files
> are encoded as UTF-8, normalized to Unicode `Normalization Form C`_.
> They obey the following grammar::
>
>     document ::= header (triple)*
>     header ::= "# Canon3 <http://fenfire.org/2003/Canon3/1.0/>" NEWLINE

Issue: should we separate an extra-strict format and a looser one (with
the different newlines)

        Tuomas